December 9: Dear Nikola and Sagan. My Dreams for You. <3
“Whatever you would have your children become, strive to exhibit in your own lives and conversation.” -Lydia H. Sigourney
“The way we talk to our children becomes their inner voice.” -Peggy O’Mara
“Good character is not formed in a week or a month. It is created little by little, day by day. Protracted and patient effort is needed.” -Heraclitus
“They may forget what you said, but they will never forget how you made them FEEL.” -Carol Buchner
Dear Nikola and Sagan,
The year is 2018. Nikola you just turned 5 in October and Sagan you will be 3 next May. I look forward to the day that I get to sit down and read this to you both. <3
I have so many hopes and dreams for you both. Some days I think I am crazy for thinking about the future in such detail, but other days I look at the two of you and realize the “future” seems to be creeping up on us faster and faster, with each passing day. So here is what I wish for you, my dear boys. <3
- Be happy. (Nehemiah 8:10) Sounds so simple and some days it will be very easy for you to be happy and choose joy. However, there will be days that this seems a lot harder than it is. I pray for you to have the perspective to seek the joy out in the darker moments of life. Live a life with no regrets. You don’t want to look back on your life and think that you should have laughed or smiled more. So do it now. Laugh and smile. Go on adventures. Take risks. Live.
- Have fun, do crazy things (every once and awhile) BUT be aware of the consequences of your actions. Be responsible. Be aware that every decision you make can have a good or bad reaction. Realize that some decisions might seem so small at the moment, but can impact your future greatly. Realize that sometimes you will have to make tough decisions, and sometimes (in fact a lot of times) that will mean going against the crowd. Don’t be afraid to be a leader. Don’t be afraid to stand out, but also be aware that sometimes it is ok to let others take the reigns. You don’t always have to be in control. Do not be afraid of taking risks. (Joshua 1:9) Sometimes those risks will lead you to the best moments of your life. You can’t reach the stars without first finding out if you can fly. <3 Do not be afraid to fail. Failing once doesn’t make you a failure. Failing twice doesn’t make you a failure. In fact, failing a hundred times doesn’t make you a failure. It is what you learn from your failures that count. I see great, huge, amazing things in your future, but you have to have the confidence to reach for them, even if you fall. I will be there to dust you off and tell you, “one more time, baby. Give it another try.” <3 Dream big and go for it!
- Love yourself before you truly love someone else. You can’t fully give yourself to another before you understand who you are as a person, on your own. Spread your wings. Experience some independence. Learn your likes and dislikes. Learn what is a deal breaker. You won’t understand what you want/need in a partner before you learn what you need/want. Find someone who will love you for who you are and not fight to change you. Don’t get me wrong. I think we can change for the better when we are around the right people, but you don’t want to be with someone that wants to change the core essence of who you are as a person. This goes back to loving yourself. (Proverbs 13:20)
- Give. Be kind. Fight for what you believe in. Don’t be afraid of your own voice. Speak up for yourself and speak up for others that can’t speak for themselves. Help where you can. Help who you can. Be grateful for everything you are given. (Hebrews 13:5)
- I pray that you find a best friend in each other. I pray that the bond I see growing now continues to grow into an amazing friendship/relationship that you both can count on for the rest of your lives. I pray you that you can call each other, anytime day or night, and the other will answer with gusto and be ready to ask “where do you need me?” <3 Be there for each other, especially when your father and I aren’t around anymore. Love each other. Be your brother’s keeper. <3
- Above all else, I pray you know that God loved you enough to send His only son to die on the cross for your sins. (John 3: 16) I pray that you both will have a close relationship with Jesus Christ. Know God.
Always, always remember that you both are my greatest accomplishments.
With all that I am, every fiber of my heart, and all my love,
Your Mama <3