December 13 – Joy to the World
The Paradoxical Commandments
People are illogical, unreasonable, and self-centered. Love them anyway.
If you do good, people will accuse you of selfish ulterior motives. Do good anyway.
If you are successful, you will win false friends and true enemies. Succeed anyway.
The good you do today will be forgotten tomorrow. Do good anyway.
Honesty and frankness make you vulnerable. Be honest and frank anyway.
The biggest men and women with the biggest ideas can be shot down by the smallest men and women with the smallest minds. Think big anyway.
People favor underdogs but follow only top dogs. Fight for a few underdogs anyway.
What you spend years building may be destroyed overnight. Build anyway.
People really need help but may attack you if you do help them. Help people anyway.
Give the world the best you have and you’ll get kicked in the teeth. Give the world the best you have anyway.
-Kent M. Keith
When I first read the challenge for today. My first response was “world peace…” But then I got to thinking. That sounds like such a cliche, beauty pageant answer. (No offense to beauty queens reading this.) I thought about Miss Congeniality with Sandra Bullock. I feel a little like Sandra Bullock while writing this. Everyone else is saying “world peace,” and Sandra responds “harsher punishments for parole violators.” 🙂 Now, let me be clear, I would love to wake up tomorrow and find world peace happened overnight, no one is going hungry, and the homeless are no longer homeless. However, I want to be reasonable with this post today. Do I believe that world peace will be achieved one day? Yes, because of my belief in Jesus Christ. But until then, Hebrews 12: 14,15 says, “make every effort to live in peace with all men and to be holy; without holiness, no one will see the Lord. See to it that no one misses the grace of God and that no bitter root grows up to cause trouble and defile many.”
I will take a page from Leo Tolstoy, who said, “everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself.” I do not believe that I have the power to bring world peace, nor would I wish that on myself or any human being. That power is in the hands of my Savior. However, I do believe that I can make a difference while on this earth. It starts with changing myself, what I choose to teach my children, and the choices I make on a day to day basis. The little things really do matter, especially when you look around and see that so many are hurting.
What I wish for you, is actually pretty simple. I wish for people to wake up tomorrow with the conviction to make decisions (no matter how small) to make you better.
- Grab a snack that gives back for every sale they make. ❤
- Hand out granola bars or any type of snack to the homeless.
- Buy an extra burger for that guy standing outside of the burger place. Not sure he would take it from you? Ask an employee at the restaurant to take it out to him.
- Buy a family groceries and leave it on their doorstep.
- Donate your clothes that you aren’t wearing anymore. Donate your kid’s toys that they don’t play with anymore.
- Be an organ donor.
- Give blood.
- Donate to a food drive.
- Volunteer at a soup kitchen.
Just to name a few. I wish for you that the adults wake up tomorrow and realize how important it is to prepare the next generation. Teach your children tolerance. Model love and kindness for the younger generation.
- Hold the door open for a stranger.
- Help put the groceries on the conveyor belt for the mommy at the grocery store with her hands full with children. Offer to help unload them for her.
- Help an elderly person grab something from a top shelf.
Children watch what we do more than they listen to what we say. ❤
What I want the next generation to do for you is this:
- Smile and do it often. A smile has the power to change the world, one person at a time.
- Give firm handshake and powerful hugs. Look people in the eyes. Show respect.
- Turn your back on the idea that it’s cool to be aloof, detached, or unemotional. Show the world that it is important to be heartfelt and kind.
- Sincerely thank the people that assist you in your day to day life, no matter how big or small.
- Lead by example.
- USE YOUR MANNERS. ❤
- Remain positive. Keep your head up.
- Complain less. Praise more.
- Say hello to the stranger at the coffee shop. Wish them a good day/evening.
- Apologize when needed, and mean it.
- Forgive, yourself and others.
- Stand up for others.
- Remain thankful, even in the dark times.
- Celebrate other peoples success.
- Never be to busy to help a friend or family member.
- Make time for what you love and believe in.
- Be kind to children. Make them laugh with a silly joke. 🙂
- Believe in the goodness of people. Believe that people really can make a difference.
I think it is a good thing that more people seem to think of others during the holidays and Christmas season. I just wish that we could carry the spirit of Christmas throughout the year. Mother Teresa said, “I alone cannot change the world, but I can cast a stone across the waters to create many ripples.” You might not see the difference your good deed makes, but you will create a ripple and that ripple could turn into a wave. ❤
Joy to the World
Joy to the world, the Lord has come
Let earth receive her King
Let every heart prepare Him room
And heaven and nature sing, and heaven and nature sing
And heaven, and heaven and nature sing.
Joy to the world, the Savior reigns
Let men their songs employ
While fields and floods, rocks, hills, and plains
Repeat the sounding joy, repeat the sounding joy
Repeat, repeat the sounding joy.
No more let sins and sorrows grow
Nor thorns infest the ground
He comes to make His blessings flow
Far as the curse is found, far as the curse is found
Far as, far as the curse is found.
He rules the world with truth and grace
And makes the nations prove
The glories of His righteousness
And wonders of His love, and wonders of His love
And wonders, wonders of His love.
My dear world, hang in there. Peace is coming. Good does still reside here.
What do you think you could do to change the world?
“For unto us a child is born, unto us, a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace.” Isaiah 9:6