#FamilyFriday, January 11, 2019

january 11

“When your mother asks, “Do you want a piece of advice?” it’s a mere formality. It doesn’t matter if you answer yes or no. You’re going to get it anyway.” –Erma Bombeck

“I sustain myself with the love of family.” –Maya Angelou

“The homemaker has the ultimate career. All other careers exist for one purpose only – and that is to support the ultimate career. ” –C.S. Lewis

grandma alda bundick


Welcome to the first Friday of my new series, #FamilyFriday. Throughout this series, I will be sharing with you stories from a memoir that my great-grandmother wrote for her children (9 kids)!! 🙂 I hope you enjoy a little trip to the past with me and my family. <3

Let me introduce you to my great-grandma, Mary Alda Bundick.

She was born February 11,1922, in Fife, Texas, to George Milton and Dona Alice Aber Hobbs. She married Claude Milton Bundick on November 24, 1938, in Alamogordo, New Mexico. They moved to Blanket, Texas in 1951. She was a homemaker and employed for many years at Blanket ISD cafeteria. She had nine children (5 girls and 4 boys.) The last count that I have was 24 grandchildren, 40 great-grandchildren and two great-great-grandchildren, but I know that number is way higher now. She was a grandmother to everyone who knew her. She loved the Lord and He knew her. She was a Proverbs 31 woman through and through. There was always a place set at her table for anyone who came to visit her. She was a “made from scratch” cook. She was a wonderful storyteller. She was a prayer warrior and always thinking of others. She was a very hard worker and she was always busy.

This “book” was handwritten by her and typed by my grandmother. My grandmother typed this as it was written. **It will not be grammatically correct. I am not correcting her writing. I am sharing her words, her exact words, and that makes it even more special.

Welcome to my family. <3

grandma bundick in the middle

Grandma Bundick (middle)

My Earliest Memories by Alda Bundick (Typed as written)

I must not been much over 2 years old as I was born in February of 1922 and Wayne in September of 1924. It could have been a few days before he was born—Mama, Claude, and me was sitting by the door of our little shack. I can’t remember if it was one room or 2, but we turned over the door step, was the big rock and 2 of the biggest sentipedes I ever saw. I remember Claude hit it with a hoe and cut it in two and both parts ran separate ways. Just after that, I was sitting in the door with my feet on the step and kept watching for one to come up. Claude was still scratching around in the dirt with  a stick, hoe or something and Mama was sitting on a box 3 or 4 feet from the door step, when a little fuzzy thing, that comes from the purple flowers we have now, came floating down and landing about center of all three of us. Claude was gonna stomp it and Mama said don’t do that. Leave it and it will float off and turn into a baby and come back to see us. I thought that was a beautiful story. So I was anxious for it to float away and after several minutes a puff of wind came and took it up in the air and away. Seems like the next morning, but it must have been several days later, Daddy took us in the kitchen. (I can’t remember the other room at all) But there must have been one, anyway we saw the baby. I just kept thinking of that little fuzzy thing and hoped some more would come and we’d have a bunch of babies. Wayne was a twin and the other one was dead, which I don’t remember any of that. But a few days later I wanted Mama to tell me where babies came from again. She told me to go shut—I already knew. Even if I didn’t know then, I found out about 18 years or so later!

That is all I remember about living there which was a Depot and pump house between Ancho and Corona—about 1/2 mile from the highway.

Then I remember we lived in the old Collier house which was 2 rooms and each room had a fireplace and was 2 fireplaces outside. Someone built the house with the idea of 4 rooms and each have a fireplace. But never did get the other 2 built. One afternoon Mama took us about 1/4 mile to Mrs. Collier’s. She took down her hair and it touched the floor–I loved it! Mrs. Collier got us some things to play with and one was a roller from a dresser or something. I loved that roller. I rolled it back and forth on the floor til I wet my pants. Mama put one of Wayne’s diapers on me–oh that was terrible! When we went home later, I forgot to put the roller down. Just a little way from her house, Claude told Mama that I had it. She griped all the way home about how she’d make me take it back and tell them I was sorry. I wanted to go back right then and take it but she wouldn’t let me. We went on home and it laid on the table a few days—(seemed like always when I looked at it and felt so guilty) but we did go back and I took it back to her. She didn’t care if I kept it. But after feeling like I’d committed the worst of crimes, I didn’t want it anymore.

grandma and her sister bug

Grandma Bundick (left) and her sister Bug 

They had a daughter about 13 or 14—Mr. Collier was blind. But they were great people. Anyway, one afternoon Mama bathed Wayne in the wash pan—he was so cute (then). After she got thru with him, she washed my hair and washed me all over—( I didn’t fit in the wash pan) then combed my hair around her fingers, put on a little pea green dotted swiss dress and boy I felt like I just wanted to stand there and look pretty from now on. About that time, Maurine, (the Colliers daughter) loped up on her horse and tied him up and came picked me up and loved and squeezed me for a long time. Then she sat down and talked with Mama and held me on her lap. I loved every moment of it. I never forgot her. When she was 18 or about, she and another girl went to the tank which was about 1/2 way between the house where they lived and where we had lived and they went swimming and she took the cramps and drown. She was the Collier’s only child. I was in the third grade then. We lived in White Oaks when we heard it. I sure hated that.

Then one day Claude and me was playing by the house under a ladder that was standing by the house, there was a wooden box and that was my table. I used some lids and so on for dishes. I was Mama and he was Daddy and went to work on his stick horse. He came and ate dinner and ran around the house and wanted to eat again. I fixed it about 3 times and every time before I got my dishes done he was back to eat again. I got tired and chewed him out. I told him Daddie’s don’t eat all the time. He said you are just an old Tuggin! I said I’m not and don’t you call me that and ain’t nobody gonna call me that and you shut your mouth and on and on. To my surprise, Mama and Dadie was listening and when we got up to the supper table Dadie called me Tuggin. I remember how silly I felt but I didn’t know what to say. So I was a Tuggin or Tug ever after.

To be continued next Friday <3

grandma bundick's book

“But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.” Isaiah 40:31




    • Thank you SO much!! That means so much coming from you! This is one of my favorite posts so far. It is almost like I can hear her talking to me. Have a great weekend! <3

  1. I absolutely love the history and all of the beautiful photos of your grandma! This is so cool!! My aunt would love this because she does genealogy of our family.

Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.