Family Friday-March 1, 2019

Family Friday-March 1 2019

It’s Family Friday March 1. Welcome to my family. Let’s take a trip down memory lane.

“Call it a clan, call it a network, call it a tribe, call it a family: Whatever you call it, whoever you are, you need one.” -Jane Howard

“Families are the compass that guides us. They are the inspiration to reach great heights, and our comfort when we occasionally falter.” -Brad Henry

**This “book” was handwritten by my great-grandmother and typed by my grandmother. My grandmother typed this as it was written. It will not be grammatically correct. I am not correcting her writing. I am sharing her words, her exact words, and that makes it even more special.

If this is your first Family Friday, you can find part one here.

Family Friday March 1 2019

My Earliest Memories by Alda Bundick (Typed as written)

*Today is September 25, 1983–Today was my Mom’s birthday. She would have been 82 years old.

The winter in White Oaks was long and we had lots of trouble. But I remember the pretty apple trees out in the yard that we skinned cats on. I remember the salesman that came and sold Mama a new singer sewing machine. She paid 5.00 per month for a long time. It was sure hard to save up egg money and whatever. But I know how she enjoyed it.

I’ll never forget the day they sent Claude home. He was broke out with measles. When I got home I was broke out too and by morning Wayne was broke out too. Two days later, came big blisters on us. We all had chicken pox too. So we got thru in a hurry.

I think Mama took care of lots of kids that year that was sick. The neighbors would bring their kids for Mama to tell them what was wrong. Mrs. Kelt took measles and she had 3 kids at home. So she and the kids were sick. Mama left us in bed and she went twice a day up there about a mile and walked to milk their cow and cook their breakfast and back dinner to cook them all the same soup. Sometimes she would make it at home and took it to them. We was sick enough for about 3 days we didn’t care if we didn’t have anything to eat or if we was left alone. Seemed like she did that for about a month but it must not have been over a week or 10 days.

The school house in White Oaks was right on the canyon. I still wonder how they had school there without a kid falling off that bank. Our teacher was a Mrs. Ward. She had 5 kids, 4 in school and one wasn’t old enough to go so Mama kept him.

Family Friday- March 1 2019
My Great-Grandma working at the school cafeteria.

Mama had more money than usual so we had one of our best Christmas’. I got a doll, the only real one I ever had. We got a little red wagon and lot of fruit, candy and nuts. On Christmas Eve, we was eating supper and when we were about thru, Dadie said I heard something. Wayne, go in the bedroom and see what’s there. He wouldn’t go alone so Claude went too and there was the little red wagon full of fruits, nuts, and candy and my doll on top. Wayne went to unloading the wagon so he could get in it. But I didn’t see it because I didn’t go in there till Dadie said oh, that was just old Santa Claus that I heard. So then I went to see.

One day there was a boy that came to the house and asked Mama if she knew him. She said no. It was Raymond Ollie Hobbs. Aunt Minnie had come out there from Lohn. Raymond was about 16 and Evelyn was about 9 or 10 and Elmo was a little fellow.

Uncle Ollie Hobbs died with flu in about 1922 or 23 and Aunt Minnie married Aza Evans. So Elmo was an Evans. Anyway, Uncle Ray and them brought them over there in the wagon. I don’t know how long they stayed but seemed like a long time tho. Then we all went back to Uncle Ray’s in the wagon. We cut thru the mountains, was a rough road–we went by pretty close to our homestead and took them all over there.

We stayed 2 nites at Uncle Ray’s and not enough beds and we like to all froze to death. They was building on their new house–a 2 room. So we sorta camped out as not very many could get in the cellar. Then the good thing about this get together was somebody had head lice and then we all had them. I guess I got them from some of them because as far as I ever knew, no one at White Oaks ever had them but me.

If we cut thru the mountains from our homestead to White Oaks, was sure rough but only about 7 or 8 miles. If we went the road, it was over 20 miles.

We walked right down the canyon from school to our house (it was about 4 foot from our door) about 1/2 mile. So we usually went home for dinner unless it was real cold. We could go around the trail and it was further so we seldom did.

One evening as we was going home around the trail, we met 2 little boys screaming bloody terror. On a little further was a real tall ghost coming to meet us. As we got closer, I saw it was Mama’s shoes. So I wondered what kind of game she was playing.

Well, some of the neighbor kids that was a mess had been going to our house and sneaking upstairs. So Mama put a sheet on the broom and drew a face and put it on her and put it up to the window and had it looking at them and knocked on the wall. When they looked up, they left out and they never did that again. But our house was the haunted house for sure. There was a casket upstairs and I didn’t like it myself. Was lots of medicine, jewelry, and such things as would be in a drug store and doctor’s office. That was what the house had been.

Family Friday March 1 2019

“But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint.” Isaiah 40:31



Leave a Reply

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.